Last Updated on August 26, 2020 by Austin Cunningham
The worktable, for a man, is his sanctuary. That is where he works on different projects. Whether you are a carpenter or someone who enjoys making plastic models, your worktable is where you will spend most of your time. And let us admit it, we all get a little sloppy sometimes.
If you are working with adhesives, it is natural for you to drop a bit of glue here and there. It does not put your skill into question. We are all human, after all. What is important is you need to step up and take care of the problem as early as you can. That is when you would want the best adhesive remover in your hand.
With this product, glue residues can no longer stain your workshop. Sure, there are plenty of DIY methods to remove the residue. However, none of them will work as well as a product dedicated to removing glue stains. And most of them only cost a couple of bucks, so there really is no reason not to get one.
In this article, we are going to give you a quick rundown of a few adhesive removers tested to provide you with the best possible results regardless of the type of glue or surface. So without further delay, let us jump into it.
Top 7 Best Adhesive Remover Review
Finding the right glue remover to clean up after a lengthy project might be difficult for someone who has no prior experience with it. Considering that using the wrong unit will give you subpar results at best, it is better not to take a random guess while choosing it.
In the following section of the article, we will take a look at the top seven best adhesive removers that you can find on the market for a quick and easy clean up after your project.
1. Goo Gone Surface Safe Adhesive Remover
- Safely Restore Your Surfaces - The surface-safe formula removes the goo without harming your surface. Formulated with citrus cleaning agents and a pleasant citrus scent
- Trusted #1 Brand For Removing Gooey Messes – Try it on stickers, wax, markers, crayons, glue, tar, window decals, glitter, gum, labels and so much more
- Multiple Uses Around The House – Everything from wine glass label remover, scuff eraser, window sill cleaner, adhesive remover, tar cleaner, crayon drawing eraser, to glue remover
- Great For Teachers and Parents - Use this to remove gum, tape, crayon and sticker residue left behind by kids
- Perfect For Collectors and Thrifters - Safely remove price stickers from gifts, wine glasses, clothing, drinking glasses, used video games and much more
We are starting off our list with a classic adhesive remover by a classic brand, Goo Gone. Over the years, this unit has been a constant companion in the workbench of many professionals who use adhesive products regularly. And looking at its impressive list of features, it is hard to wonder why.
The remover formula is stated as surface-safe, which means it will not harm your surface in any way. It also leaves your surface with pleasant citrus smell as an added benefit. Whether you are removing sticker stain from the window, or gum under the table, this is the perfect product.
2. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
- Specially blended solvent for removal of light paint overspray, adhesive residue, wax, grease, tree sap, dirt, road tar, oil and bugs
- Aerosol formula
- Quickly removes waxes, greases, oil and tars
- Will not harm most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyls, or fabrics when properly used
If you do not like wiping over a surface with rug endlessly, an aerosol-based remover might be what you are looking for. But you need to be extra careful with this type of formula as not all of them are great at the task. However, there is one unit that is sure to please you, the 3M spray adhesive cleaner.
Its unique formula is effective at removing any stickiness you might have on the surface with minimal spray. The remover acts quickly and can safely remove wax, grease, tars, or oil from any surface without causing any damage. In addition to household tables and windows, you can also use it for automotive, vinyl, and fabrics.
3. Uni Solve Adhesive Remover Wipes
- Country of Origin :United States
- Package weight: 0.141 kilograms
- Model number: 402300
- Package dimensions : 6.299 cms L x 7.112 cms W x 10.998 cms H
Another great way to remove sticky residue from a surface or, in this case, even skin, is to use adhesive remover wipes. This high-quality wipe by the folks at Uni Solve is the perfect solution when you want to get rid of that stickiness, whether it is your skin or any other surface.
When used on the skin, there is always a question of whether it will cause any side-effects. You will be glad to know that this product is safe to use and does not cause any irritation or skin rash. It even leaves you with a nice smell. You get 50 pieces of wipes with your purchase, so you can use one and throw it away.
4. Custom Shop Restoration KW901 – Automotive Grease and Wax Remover
- KW901 - Grease and Wax Remover is a fast acting and effective product designed to dissolve and loosen surface contaminants commonly found on painted surface such as Grease, Wax,Tar, Adhesive Residue, Tree Sap, Silicones and Insect Residueand enables these contaminants to be easy picked up and removed by wipingaway from the surface to be painted.
- 1 Quart Can of KW901 - Grease and Wax Remover Surface Prep Cleaner - Use before any bodywork or painting operation to assure a clean quality surface. Promotes maximum paint adhesion. Dries quickly with no residue
- KW901 - Grease and Wax Remover works on painted surfaces, metal, plastic, Epoxy and fiberglass. It's Great for use before and after sanding. Leaves the surface clean and ready for topcoat application
- Use with clean lint free wiping cloths, use a separate wet cloth and a separate removal cloth. Great as an anti-Static, Anti-Silicone panel Wipe before Painting
- Restoration Shop and Custom Shop have been providing innovative Premium Quality products you can trust to the Automotive Paint Industry since 1974. Our products are proudly Made in the U.S.A., and we formulate, manufacture, and distribute our own products throughout the USA, unlike many competitors. Our superior coating products only use the highest quality ingredients, which allows our customers to consistently achieve professional high quality results on their Painting Projects!
If you need something stronger, suppose for automotive wax removal, then the Custom Shop restoration KW901 might be worth a look. It is the perfect product to get rid of those particularly troublesome wax spots and to give a shine to the surface without leaving any blemishes.
The best place to apply this adhesive is metal, plastic, epoxy, or fiberglass. As you can see, the list is quite impressive, and the tool honestly delivers. You get one quart of adhesive with your purchase that can last you a long time. With this unit, you no longer need to worry about any grease, tar, wax, or adhesive residue on any work surface.
5. Oil Eater Original 1 Gallon Cleaner/Degreaser
- Safely dissolves grease and oils on most everything, product contains no acids, abrasive or petroleum solvents and is water based and biodegradable so safe for all uses even in septic systems
- Non toxic, non-corrosive, non-hazardous, USDA approved for non-food surfaces, call the toll free help line for professional cleaning advice
- Concentrated product, use the dilution chart on each bottle to achieve maximum product performance and value
- Household uses: Laundry precept, floors, carpets, tub/tile, grills, decks, asphalt and concrete driveways, stoves, boat hulls, white wall tires, siding and more
- Industrial uses: Engines, machinery, floor scrubbers, tools, pressure washers, parts washing, exhaust hoods, and more, used in restaurants, quick lubes, garages, production facilities, HVAC and more
Sometimes less is more, but other times, you will be happy knowing that you bought extra. That is the case with this heavy-duty degreaser by the brand Oil Eater. It comes in a sizeable 1-gallon bottle with enough materials to last you a good long while. So if you work with grease or adhesives a lot, this is the perfect unit for you.
The cleaner does not contain any acid or abrasive materials. It is extremely safe and non-toxic since it is mostly a water-based solvent. Additionally, it is biodegradable, so you will not be causing the environment any harm. Because of its versatility, it is a highly useful tool both in the household and industrial settings.
6. Duck Brand 527263 Adhesive Remover 5.45-Ounce Bottle with Scraper Cap
- Features a no-mess sponge applicator and built-in heavy duty scraper
- Removes tapes, adhesive residue, stickers, labels, tar, gum, caulk and more
- Works on many surfaces and has pleasant citrus scent
- VOC compliant in all states
It is rare for us to find a product as thoughtful as this adhesive cleaner by the brand Duck Brand. In addition to featuring a high-performance cleaner formula, it comes with an exciting twist. Boasting a built-in heavy-duty scrapper, this is one of the finest units that we came across.
The tip of the product is narrow and allows for an accurate application. Whether you want to remove the stickiness left behind by tapes, or adhesive residues, this product can handle it well. Furthermore, the built-in scraper allows you to get rid of those finicky residues or gum without too much effort.
7. SENSI-CARE Sensi-Care Sting-Free Adhesive Releaser Spray
- 100% Silicone adhesive remover, rapid release of medical adhesives
- Minimizes trauma and skin stripping
- Minimizes trauma and skin stripping hcpcs-a4455
To round up our list of reviews, we bring you a fantastic adhesive cleaner spray called SENSI-CARE. Although spray cleaners are better suited to applying in inanimate surfaces, this model works great with skin too. The brand Convatec specializes in creating medical equipment, and you can bet that it will cater to your skin well.
This product is made to minimize skin-stripping that might be caused due to adhesives or waxy residues. Not only does it do the task effectively, but it is also quick to act. So you can go wild with your project and use it to clean yourself up when you are done. Although the product is a bit on the pricier side, the quality is unparalleled.
Frequently Asked Questions
With the list of products out of the way, we can focus our attention on some of the common questions people have regarding the best adhesive removers. These answers will help you figure out which product you need to keep your surface spotless and free of any wax residue.
Here are some of the queries people often have regarding adhesive remover and degreaser
What is the best adhesive remover for skin?
When it comes to your skin, you want to stay away from products that can damage you in any way. Skin irritation and rashes are two of the many problems that can occur if you use the wrong adhesive remover in your skin. It can even get infected if you are not careful.
Ideally, you would want to check if the product matches all the medical safety requirements before you buy it. The Uni Solve Adhesive Remover Wipe is one of the best cleaners you can use for your skin as it causes no irritation or other issues. Another great unit you could look at is the SENSI-CARE Sting-Free Adhesive Releaser Spray.
Both products are great options if you want to remove sticky residue from your skin.
What is the best adhesive remover for cars?
Finding the best adhesive remover for cars might be a tad more complicated since it is such a sensitive thing. You do not want to use any product that can cause a stain or blemish in your vehicle. So it is particularly important that you make the correct choice when buying an adhesive remover for your car.
Custom Shop Restoration KW901 is our choice for when we want to remove adhesive from the car. It is an industrial-grade cleaner used in many carwashes to make your car as good as new.
How do you remove old adhesive?
Adhesive spills can be a pain to deal with since they can get extremely hard over time. That is why you should deal with them as early as possible; otherwise, you are just inviting trouble.
Ideally, you would want to use a solvent capable of breaking down the stickiness of the adhesive. Our list of products should give you an idea of which cleaner can help you achieve that. After applying the cleaner, give it some time to soak the adhesive. Then you can simply wipe it off using a moist rag. It might take some effort, but it should come off without too much fuss.
What can I use instead of Goo Gone?
Goo Gone Surface Safe Adhesive Remover is one of the best cleaners on the market. It offers good performance at a reasonable price for which it has gathered a lot of popularity. However, it is not the only product that can give you a good result in removing adhesives.
There are many products that offer similar performance at a similar price. For instance, the Duck Brand 527263 Adhesive Remover is another unit that performs well and priced reasonably. Other than that, you can even use home products such as washing soda, or peanut butter to get a satisfactory result while removing the glue.
What dissolves sticky adhesive?
If you go through our review section, you should have a decent idea of the products which dissolve sticky adhesives. For sticky residues, we lean towards the Goo Gone Surface Safe Adhesive Remover. It is an amazing little tool that can keep the surface clean without leaving any unwanted issues.
The 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is also a close competitor to Goo Gone and gave us a satisfactory result. You can buy either of these units to clean any regular surface without any hassle.
How do you remove hardened adhesive?
With the right cleaner, removing hardened adhesive is not much of an issue. There are no additional steps that you must follow if your glue can do all the work. Our pick to remove hardened adhesive is the Oil Eater Original 1 Gallon Cleaner/Degreaser. Just make sure you apply enough for it to take full effect.
What removes sticky residue naturally?
If you do not want to spend a few bucks buying a cleaner to remove adhesive residue, you can always go with a natural method. By natural, we mean using common household materials you may have lying around.
One method is to use standard cooking oil, peanut butter, or even mayonnaise. You need to let these materials soak the adhesive for around an hour. After that, you can wipe it off, and the stickiness should disappear.
Another method, for tougher wax, is to use vodka or rubbing alcohol. Make sure you use enough alcohol to cover the waxy residue fully. Apply a bit of force while wiping to make sure the adhesive comes off entirely.
If you have the right cleaner at your hand, you can relax when working with adhesives on any project. Our list of reviews should give you a good ground to find the perfect unit as per your requirement.
We hope you found our article on the best adhesive remover informative and helpful for your next big project.