In the holiday seasons, one way to spread good spirits is to hand out greeting cards. When the cards are handmade, the other person can appreciate your thought and love towards them even more. But whenever you are trying to make greeting cards for your friends and loved ones, you need the best glue for cardstock.
Without the right glue, you will find this simple project becomes somewhat difficult. The letters will not stick, or other elements of your card will start to fall off here and there. It gets frustrating quickly, and at a time, you have no option but to give up.
However, if you are using the right adhesive, the story is completely different. No matter how complex your card is, you can finish your project quickly and effectively. It does not take much to make cardstocks, as long as you have the right glue at your hand.
But how do you get your hands on the right adhesive? Well, to answer that question, we will take a look at some of the top products that you can find for this project in this article. So without further ado, let us jump in.
Top 7 Best Glue for Cardstock Reviews
Finding the right glue to use for a project like making greeting cards might be difficult for someone who has no experience with it. Considering that using the wrong glue will give you subpar results at best, it is better not to take a random guess while choosing it.
In the following section of the article, we will take a look at the top seven best glue for cardstock that you can buy for the best results when trying to work with the material.
1. Scotch ATG 700 Adhesive Applicator | Best Adhesive For Thick Cardstock
- Applies adhesive while removing and rewinding liner back into the applicator to eliminate cleanup
- Provides controlled application with the squeeze of a trigger
- Transparent cover provides quick and easy inspection to show remaining tape
- Applicator accommodates the use of 3/4" and 1/2" width adhesive rolls
- Adapter allows use of 1/2 inch rolls on ATG700 Applicator
We are going to start off our list with not a glue, but rather an applicator. The ATG 700 applicator by the brand Scotch is best for when you are working with thick cardstock. It allows you to apply the adhesive in a controlled manner, minimizing any overspray or glue lines.
The unit is designed for single-handed operation, and the controls are incredibly intuitive. With its smooth trigger and covered gears, the adhesive flows swiftly. It has a strong and durable PVC plastic construction. The housing that holds your adhesive roll is transparent, and you can always monitor how much glue you have left.
2. Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue
- Formulated for fast grab, fast dry and flexibility
- Great for leather, wood and lace
- Contains 4 ounces
- Made in USA
If you want a strong and fast-acting glue, then you cannot go wrong with this one by the good folks at Beacon. It is advertised as a permanent fabric glue, so you should be careful when using it. If the glue sets, you would have a hard time making changes to your project.
The adhesive is made using acid-free, water-resistant materials, which allows the bond to be both strong and environment friendly. You do not have to worry about any stains, wrinkles, or deformities when you apply it to a piece of paper or cardstock. Furthermore, the glue, when it dries, becomes completely clear, which makes it extremely handy for making cardstocks.
3. Mod Podge PLCS11205 11359 Gloss 4Oz Squeeze Bottle
- MOD PODGE-Gloss Luster in a 4 ounce plastic bottle with a closable squeeze top
- The water base sealer glue and finish for all surfaces
- Non toxic non flammable
- Made in the USA
- Date printed on Item is the manufactured date
To take care of all your adhesive, sealer, and finish requirements, we bring you this fantastic product by the brand Mod Podge. It comes in a plastic bottle containing four ounces of materials. The squeeze top of the unit is closable, which means you do not have to worry about the glue drying up.
This adhesive consists of a water-based formula that can work with any and all surfaces. If you want to use it for cardstock, you have nothing to worry about. Since the formula is non-toxic and non-flammable, you can be sure that it will not harm your material or skin in any way.
4. Glue Dots Craft Dots Adhesive
- 200 versatile Craft Dots for a multitude of projects!
- Ideal for scrapbook rubber stamp and paper craft projects
- Super-Strength, Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives
- Works on paper, foam, plastic, metal, glass and more!
- Acid-free, Lignin-free, conforms to ASTM D-4236
If standard glue sticks or adhesive products are not your thing, Glue Dots might be something worth checking. This unique adhesive dot units by the brand have the potential to give your project an extraordinary look in a subtle way and allow you to explore many other creative possibilities.
These are pressure-sensitive adhesives, that you can push on the back of a button or other smaller objects and place on your desired surface. In many ways, it is similar to double-sided tape. However, the fantastic bonding strength, along with the fast-acting time of the glue makes it truly exceptional. For any sort of paper or glass-related project, this adhesive serves you well.
5. 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Permanent Spray Adhesive Glue
- VERSATILE ADHESIVE: Bonds a wide range of lightweight materials (i.e., paper, cardboard fabric, insulation, plastic, metal, wood, felt, fiberglass, foam, leather, and more)
- INDUSTRIAL GRADE: Provides professional, industrial strength for demanding applications
- AGGRESSIVE TACK: Offers a fast, aggressive tack for a quick bond that reduces set time
- BOND TIME: Allows for a bond time of 15 seconds to 30 minutes
- REPOSITIONABLE: Initially repositionable while providing long lasting strength; Helps to create soft, non dimpling glue lines
Spray adhesives are a great tool that makes applications way easier. 3M is a leading brand that specializes in this sort of adhesive products. The Super 77 by the brand is a permanent spray glue that is suitable for a wide range of materials like cardboard, fabric, plastic, wood, and even metal.
This product gives you industrial-grade bonding strength, which makes it perfect for any heavy-duty projects. It tacks easily, and you can quickly move from one project to another because of its aggressive set time. Although it does yellow a bit over time, the other features in the unit are more than desirable for your cardstock projects.
6. Gorilla Super Glue with Brush & Nozzle Applicator
- Two ways to dispense for greater control and versatility
- Fine bristle brush for controlled coverage with less mess
- Precision tip nozzle for quick, easy dispensing
- Impact tough: Unique rubber particles increase impact resistance and strength
- Fast-setting: Dries in 10-30 seconds, no clamping required
If you dabble even the slightest bit with adhesive products, it is unlikely that you have not heard about Gorilla. Whenever you are searching for the best glue for any purpose, you will come across this name. And looking at this product, it is hard to wonder why.
This super glue comes with both a nozzle and a brush applicator to give you complete control over how you want to use it. The design of the unit ensures that you will not make a mess while applying it over a surface. With rubber particles included in the formula, you can expect a high level of impact resistance and bonding strength from this adhesive.
7. Bearly Art Precision Craft Glue
- CLEAR-DRYING PREMIUM ART & CRAFT GLUE: Create a professional-level look for all styles of crafts. Best art glitter glue available.
- MULTIPLE-SIZED TIPS: Provides more choices in application! Get better accuracy, freedom, and control with precision tips that twist and snap into place!
- WRINKLE & CLUMP RESISTANT: Specially formulated to stay smooth and minimize warping or wrinkling. When highly desiring no warping or wrinkling be conservative with application of glue.
- NON-TOXIC MADE IN USA: Totally safe to use for any project and industrial strength bond.
- FREEZE/THAW STABLE: Can ship year ‘round and has been tested to be freeze/thaw stable for 5 freeze/thaw cycles. Perfect arts & crafts glue for the holidays!
To wrap up our list, we bring you a fantastic craft glue by Bearly Arts. It comes with plenty of thingamajigs to help you apply the glue in a convenient way. With your purchase, you get 4 ounces of adhesive in a neat little plastic bottle that protects the glue from drying up.
The inclusion of multiple applicator tips of different sizes and shapes means that you have a lot of flexibility when using it. The wrinkle-free clump resistant formula makes it one of the finest units to use when making cardstocks. Furthermore, the adhesive formula is non-toxic and extremely safe to use by just about anyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
With the list of products out of the way, we can focus our attention on some of the common questions people have regarding the best glue for cardstock. These answers will help you figure out which glue you need for your next project. It should answer your most basic questions and give you a clearer idea of the subject.
Here are some of the queries people often have when using glue for all your cardstock projects.
- What Adhesive is Best for Cardmaking?
As you might already know, there are many different types of adhesives available in the market these days. The formula of these products varies in terms of chemical composition and how they react to different materials. That is why it is important for you to understand which form of adhesive would serve you best in your specific project.
When you are dealing with cardstocks, your best bet would be to go with PVA glue. It is a versatile form of adhesive that works with a wide range of materials. But most importantly, when you are working with cards or papers, it will give you the best results. The Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue is a fantastic PVA glue that you can use for this type of project.
- How do you glue fabric to cardstock?
Attaching fabric to a greeting card is a simple way to jazz it up a little. The end result, although not always great, can often give your project a unique and appealing look. But attaching a piece of fabric to cardstock is easier said than done. You need to choose both the adhesive and the card carefully for this purpose.
Ideally, you will want to avoid thinner cards if you want to attach the fabric to it. When it comes to glue, the Glue Dots Craft Dots Adhesive is a good option. As it is extremely easy to apply, and making a mess is practically impossible, you can attach fabrics to card quite easily with this adhesive.
- What is the best glue for cardstock invitations?
For cardstock invitations, you want a glue that acts fast and can be applied easily. Since you will likely be dealing out a lot of invitations, you want to be able to move from one card to the next effortlessly. So using adhesive products that take a long time to dry is not an option.
The Scotch ATG 700 Adhesive Applicator is a great option for making cardstock invitations. It ticks all the boxes that you want to address when selecting a glue for cardstock invitations. With a fast delivery system and efficient drying time, you can get through a lot of card invitations in practically no time.
- Does fabric glue work on paper?
Yes, fabric glue does, in fact, work well on paper. However, you need to understand which type of fabric glue you are using. Fabric glue can come in different shapes and have different methods of application. Not all methods of applying the glue will be as efficient when you are working with paper.
What you want is a fabric glue stick or a unit with a thin applicator tip. It would allow you to be precise and accurate in your application. Broader tips might force you to use more glue than you actually need. Furthermore, going overboard with glue can also wrinkle up the paper.
- Can I apply wet glue to cardstock?
Typically, you would want to avoid using wet glue on cardstock, especially if you are dealing with thin cards. Cards are basically made of paper, and anything that you will not use for paper applies here also. With wet glue, the paper might become too soft and might also tear if you are not careful.
However, with thicker pieces of cardstock, it might be something that you can get away with. Still, if you have the option, it is a better idea to avoid using wet glue for cardstock projects.
- Can I use hot glue on cardstock?
If you are working with thicker pieces of cardstock, hot glue might be a good option. You would also need a glue gun to make use of hot glue sticks. Because of how hot glue works by melting the adhesive, it offers you an easy way to attach fabric or ribbon to your cardstock projects.
But make sure you use a low temp glue gun for the job. One thing to remember about hot glue is that they are not very flexible. If you plan on bending the card often, a hot glue gun might not be the best way to go. But as long as you keep things simple, you should not have trouble using this type of range of products adhesive.
- Is Gorilla glue good for cardstock?
Gorilla is a well-known and reputed brand in the glue industry. They specialize in making high-quality adhesives that suit multiple purposes.
The Gorilla Super Glue with Brush & Nozzle Applicator is a great option for any cardstock projects. You can find an in-depth review of the product in our review section.
Homemade greeting cards are an intimate and thoughtful gift. Now that you know which adhesive to choose for this type of project, you can make your close ones feel special on different occasions.
We hope you found our review of the best glue for cardstock informative and helpful for your next project.