From lubricating your machine parts to acting as a sealant, the versatility of the best silicone spray is unparalleled. It has come a long way since its conception back in the days. Nowadays, you can easily find a unit in your corner store to use as you please.
But before you go out spending money, it might be worth taking a step back. With the rise of availability, there also came a flurry of cheap knock-off products that give you mediocre results at best. We often hear of people feeling ripped off paying premium dollars for a product that does not perform as expected.
Although in most cases, the issue is with the product itself, sometimes, people do not understand whether they even need a silicone spray. For those who are new to the subject, a silicone spray is a silicone-based lubricant that protects the moving parts of a machine or surface.
Ideally, any high-quality silicone spray will feature some form of water and corrosion resistance to provide you with the best protection possible. In this article, we will look at some of the top-rated silicone sprays you can buy from the market and feel like you made the best investment in your life.
Top 7 Best Silicone Spray Lubricants Reviews
Finding the right lubricant to extend the lifetime of your machine parts might be difficult for someone who has no experience with it. Considering that using the wrong product will give you subpar results at best, it is better not to take a random guess while choosing it.
In the following section of the article, we will take a look at the top seven best silicone spray lubricants that you can buy for the best results when trying to keep the moving parts of your machine working perfectly.
1. 3-IN-ONE Professional Garage Door Lubricant
- High-Performance Lubrication
- Quick-Drying, No-Mess Formula
- Prevention of Rust & Corrosion
- Permanent Smart Straw nozzle – Sprays either a stream
We would like to start off our list of reviews with an excellent product by a brand called 3 In One. Aptly named for creating versatile lubricants and degreasers, this product comes with all the features you want out of your silicone spray. Add that with an affordable price tag, and you cannot find a better unit.
The product comes with high-performance lubrication along with a quick-drying formula. Because of its precise design, you do not need to worry about making a mess while applying it on the surface. Using this lubrication regularly ensures that you do not have to worry about rust or corrosion blocking up your garage doors anytime soon.
2. DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant
- A clean, light-duty product, DuPont Silicone Lubricant with Teflon Fluoropolymer is excellent for non-metal materials that may be damaged by conventional lubricants
- Waterproofs, protects, lubricates and preserves
- For use on rubber, plastic, vinyl, leather, metal and wood
- Eliminates squeaking and binding in windows, hinges, locks, etc.
- Helps prevent rust, oxidation and corrosion on all metals
Next up, we will look at a unit that is suitable for all your lightweight projects. The Teflon Silicone Lubricant by the brand DuPont is exactly what you need if you are looking for a high-quality product to use regularly for your projects. For the best results, you should use it with non-metallic materials.
The lubricant formula is waterproof and can essentially extend the lifetime of your material by a long margin. It prevents rust, corrosion, and oxidation in all sorts of metallic components. Furthermore, you can even use it with rubber, plastic, wood, and even vinyl to preserve their quality.
3. WD-40 Multi-Use Product with SMART STRAW
- Drives out moisture and quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits
- Acts as a corrosion inhibitor to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements to prevent rust
- Frees sticky mechanisms, loosens rust-to-metal bonds and helps release stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts
- Removes grease, grime, gunk, gum, tar, sap, super glue, sticker residue, and other sticky stuff from multiple surfaces
- Lubricates moving parts such as hinges, wheels, pulleys, rollers, chains, and gears
WD 40 is a well-recognized name in the industry for machine lubricants. Although this product might not be the most common WD 40 unit you can find, it no doubt maintains all the standards that you expect from the brand. The product comes in an 8-ounce can and has a smart straw attached to the nozzle.
With the smart straw, you can either spray the lubricant or stream it for a much more precise application. If you are having trouble with moisture in an electrical circuit, this unit can quickly handle the issue. Additionally, it helps you get rid of any gunk, grime, or grease clogging up your hardware.
4. DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant
- No fling-off and O-Ring Safe
- Dirt-resistant dry lubricant
- Contains Teflon and Moly for wear protection
- Water resistant and Non-staining
This time we bring your attention to another fantastic lubricant by the brand DuPont. The 11-ounce can of wax-based lubricant is just the unit you want to take care of squeaky chains or noisy garage doors. After you apply it on a surface, you can expect to eliminate any issues at least for a good long while.
The lubricant itself is dirt resistant. It has a quick dry time, which means you do not need to worry about your hardware soaking up for an extended period. To further protect your materials against wearing, the lubricant contains some amount of Teflon and Moly. It is also water-resistant and does not stain your surface after application.
5. WD-40 Handyman Trio Mini-Can Lubricant Kit
- Handyman trio kit contains 3 heavy-duty lubricants for a variety of lubrication jobs and maintenance. 50-state VOC compliant solution offers effective performance on metal to metal friction points, cables, pulley, hinges, heavy duty machinery, and much more
- Multi-Use Formula: this original formula with extreme penetration loosen up rusted bolts or hinges, displace moisture content to prevent rust and corrosion. It can be used on a variety of surfaces to clean gum, grime, grease, tar, and sap
- Silicone Lubricant: this water-resistant lubricant is safe for use on rubber, metal, vinyl, and plastic surfaces. Quick-drying silicone formula provides a protective low-friction coating on cables, pulleys, hinges, locks, valves, windows, and doors
- Spray Gel Lubricant: ideal for vertical surfaces, spray and stay gel lubricant has a no-drip formula that prevents surface run-off. Thick gel formula offers self-healing long-term protection of moving parts such as rollers, gears, chains, and bearings
- Easy-To-Carry: mini portable lubricants - a smart addition for industrial and regular use toolboxes
If you want the most out of your purchase, then this thoughtful selection of products in a bundle by WD 40 might be right up your alley. It comes with three distinct products, each with its own unique purpose. And the entire bundle is quite affordable too, which is a welcome addition.
With your purchase, you get a gel lubricant, which is suitable for applying on vertical surfaces. You also get the original multi-use formula, which we all know lives well up to its name. Finally, the silicone spray offers you water-resistant, quick-drying lubrication formula suitable for surfaces like rubber, metal, vinyl, etc.
6. CRC 05074 Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant
- Lubricates and eliminates squeaking and binding caused by friction.
- Film is clean and highly resistant to water.
- Use on nylon, rubber, metal and non-metal surfaces.
- Perfect for applications exposed to the elements
- Multi-Use Silicone Spray
Next up, we have a Silicone Spray for all your heavy-duty applications. This unit by a brand called CRC can quickly and effectively get rid of that annoying squeakiness that can happen over time from fiction. It lubricates the material and allows you to make it as good as new.
The lubrication formula resists water and moisture damage. It also has a high degree of heat tolerance, which means it can withstand harsher natural elements like rain or storms. Whether you are spraying it on rubber, metal, or other non-metallic surfaces, you can count on it to do the job perfectly.
7. B’laster 16-SL Industrial Strength Silicone Lubricant
- ENHANCE PERFORMANCE - B'laster Silicone Lubricant contains a higher concentration of silicone than competitor brands, which provides longer-lasting lubrication. Formulated with Teflon Fluoropolymer to enhance performance.
- NO STAIN - Its clear, non-evaporating formula eliminates wear from constant friction and is safe and non-staining.
- NO DIRT - Dust and dirt won’t be a problem because B’laster silicone lubricant leaves a no-track film that won’t accumulate dust and dirt.
- PRESERVE - Lubricates and protects elastomers, metal, plastic, wood, rubber, vinyl, and leather.
To wrap up our list of reviews, we will look at another high-performance lubricant by the brand B’laster. With this product, you can blast away any gunk or grimes, hindering your machine’s performance. It boasts a higher concentration of silicone in its formula, which means you can expect the lubrication to last a long while.
The best thing about the product is how resistant it is to both dirt and water. Its no-track film repels dust and prevents its accumulation on the surface where you spray it. Furthermore, it features a no-stain formula that is safe to use on a wide range of materials. You can use it with elastomers, plastic, metal, rubber, vinyl, and a few other materials without any issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
With the list of products out of the way, we can focus our attention on some of the common questions people have regarding the best silicone spray lubricants. These answers will help you figure out which product you need to keep your surface frictionless and prevent any squeaking or resistance in the parts.
Here are some of the queries people often have regarding silicone spray lubricants.
1. Is WD 40 a silicone spray?
By WD 40, people commonly refer to the penetrating oil. WD 40 is actually a renowned brand that makes a lot of different lubrication products. They even have some silicone sprays on their shelf. You can find two of them in our list of reviews.
If you are asking about the penetrating oil specifically, then no, it is not a silicone spray. Although it is a common mistake, the two products are, in fact, quite different, both in terms of chemical composition and usage. WD 40 is a penetrating oil, based on petroleum, whereas a silicone spray is based on, well, silicone.
Using WD 40 on the material will leave a strong smell of petroleum on the surface. Silicone spray, on the other hand, is mostly odorless. You can also use silicone-based lubricants on electronic circuits and appliances, whereas WD 40 might ruin your electronics. Silicone spray is mostly used as a lubricant, but WD 40s primary function is to remove rust.
2. Is silicone spray better than WD 40?
The answer to that question depends entirely on your application and what you are expecting to get from it. The job of WD 40 penetrating oil is to penetrate rust and remove it temporarily so that you can free the moving parts. It is not exactly a lubricant.
However, a silicon spray serves mainly as a lubricant to help you free up hinges or garage doors when they get stuck over time. But then again, if you want to remove rust, a can of silicone spray will not do you much good. You can choose the right product as per your requirement as long as you understand what each product does.
3. Does silicone spray dry?
Yes, silicone spray dries. In fact, it does not take too long for it to dry if it is a good product. But that does not mean it did not do its of lubricating the surface. When silicone spray lubricant dries, it leaves a smooth surface in its trail. That is where the true quality of the unit comes in.
Most of the products that we reviewed have a quick-drying period. This means you can spray a bit of the product and wait about 10 minutes before you can start to see it taking effect. If your lubricant does not dry and leave a smooth finish, then check the product specs. Furthermore, you do not want to apply too much lubricant as it might extend the drying time unreasonably.
4. What is silicone spray good for?
Silicone spray is one of the most versatile forms of lubricant that you can find on the market. It has a multitude of useful applications ranging from home applications all the way to automobile maintenance. Since it works with materials such as plastic, rubber, or even metal, the potential is practically limitless.
Some of the common uses of a silicone spray lubricant are:
- You can use it with the wiper blade of your car during the winter to prevent freezing.
- You can protect the latches and hinges of your cars and prevent rust.
- Garage door hinges can get noisy and rough over time. Silicone spray adhesives can bring it back to life.
- You can lubricate stuck zippers in bags or other materials.
- New leather shoes can require some breaking-in before it becomes comfortable. Silicone spray can speed up the process.
- You can also use it on the corners of the window during winter to keep them moving freely.
- Applying a bit of silicone spray on snow shovels can prevent snow from sticking on to it.
- If your lock is old and will not open easily, you can spray a bit of silicone spray on the inside to get the parts moving again.
The above pointers are just a few examples of how you can use your silicone spray lubricants.
5. When should I not use silicone lubricant?
Although silicone spray has a plethora of applications, that does not mean you can use it just anywhere. For instance, you should not use silicone lubricant in electronic circuits, or switches. It might cause connectivity issues and could even short-circuit the machine.
Furthermore, anywhere you sit or walk on will be too slippery if you apply silicone spray. Painted surfaces are another example where you should not use silicone spray lubricants. Lastly, you should not use silicone spray on items that you hold with your hands, like a bat, fishing rod, or even a gun.
No other lubrication product can come close to competing with the versatility of a decent silicone spray. On top of that, it is easy to find and also cheaper than many lubrication products that you can find on the market.
We hope you enjoyed our extensive review of the best silicone spray lubricants. By now, you should have no trouble finding the right product for your purposes.
An ex-professional racquetball coach who now runs a blog site for a hobby. This site is aimed at the beginners who don’t know anything about playing racquetball, squash, table tennis, and/or never heard of it. You might also find posts related to my DIY hobbies. You can find me on LinkedIn. #love_for_sports #love_for_tools