Glue is the one of most necessary items for our paper projects. However, it is not given proper importance, and even sometimes it is completely neglected. While we face the items falling apart as time passes, we wonder why it happens.
Well, the reason is simple, either we have selected the wrong glue for our projects or the product was a cheap brand not suitable for long-lasting performance. In this article, we will help you to select the correct and best glue for your specific paper works.
Author’s 3 Best Glue Sticks
Our best picks are here. Check the comparison list and get the most appropriate glue.
Elmer’s All-Purpose Glue
Scotch Permanent Glue
UHU Stic Permanent
How We Selected Products to Test
While you choose glues for paper crafts and scrapbooks, you may get confused, as there are various types of adhesives and brands. However, mainly two categories of adhesive: dry and wet glue.
Most crafters prefer dry adhesive, as it is easier to use. Found in tape, dots, and semi-liquid form, these can be used on thick paper, like scrapbooking, cardstock, and chipboard.
Wet adhesive can be permanent, temporary, or repositionable. These are commonly used on smooth, shiny surfaces like photos, metal, and plastics. The main benefit is you can correct a mistake before it dries. Some common forms are paste, liquid, and spray.
Glue sticks are popular; because they are easy to use on paper. It comes in chapstick and tube form. Kids can easily control the application, and applying on the tiny edge is smooth without mistake. In addition, glue sticks are dry, clear, and washable as they are water-based products.
Best Glue for Paper
Some of the best glue for different paper types are glue sticks, dots, and sticky PVA glue. For specific types of glue, check the following sections.
Best Glue for Crafts
You can use most of the regular adhesives found for your papercrafts. Nevertheless, you must check the perfect one, as not all glues are equal in properties and application. The common mistake we all make is selecting quick dry glue instead of repositionable glue.
Best Glue for Scrapbooking
While working with scrapbooking, most of us spend much time choosing impressive covers, bright papers, and how to decorate more embellishments. In addition, we miss an element that will hold all materials together, the glue.
You may wonder why glue is so essential for your craft works; it is important because as time passes, the standard glue available for scrapbooking will turn yellow as the months go by; sometimes, the items will fall off the paper.
Why does the adhesive become yellow? Because those are not acid-free. Acid-mixed glue even makes scrapbook papers fragile. Choose a good branded acid-free glue; you will have a scrapbook that will pass over the test of years.
Best Glue for School
Kids are curious and sporty; they do not need to be careful while playing papercrafts. However, you should not wear wet adhesive, as your kids will make their excellent products messy. Kids love to play; give them glue sticks, which will be the best gift for their school work.
Best Glue for Office Uses
Not all types of glue are appropriate for office tasks. For example, you cannot choose a spray that will spread little dots of glue around the desk or fall upon the electronic objects. For office uses, dry adhesives are the best. And if you want a disgust-free fixer, you can go with glue sticks, a glue pen, or double-sided tape.
7 Best Glue Sticks Reviews
We have studied for long hours and have picked the best glue stick that will make you smile. In a messy world, we will now find the best parts of those glues that separate them.
Best Glue Stick for Paper: Elmer’s Glue Stick
Elmer’s All Purpose Glue Stick comes in a 30-stick package. Each orange stick has 0.24oz of white glue, and you will get 7.2oz of glue.
This exceptional brand is famous among school kids for its pleasant looking and good bond with papers. It does not need a clamp to bond and provides a smooth, clump-free experience.
- Elmer’s glue stick is perfect for school paper projects. Kids find it easy and fun.
- It works well on various paper items, including standard paper, photos, scrapbooks, cardstock, foam board, etc.
- These all-purpose glue sticks are smooth; do not create any clusters on paper. And the glue with an orange cap dries clear.
- While your kids put glues on their hands and clothes, do not worry, this glue is safe and toxin-free. In addition, it is simple to wash and remove extra glue.
- Elmer’s glue sticks were specially formulated for paper, which also works best with foam. However, the manufacturer recommends not using it with metal, glass, or plastic, or else the items may fall off.
- Do not apply heat if you are using glue with a 3D applique. You may find the bond falling off like powder when it dries up.
Best Glue for Popsicle Sticks: Scotch Glue Stick
Scotch Permanent Glue Stick comes in an 18-piece saving package with each stick of 0.28 oz. This glue is non-toxic and white, which has made it an ideal pick for collage and scrapbooking.
- Scotch Permanent glue works fast and never turns yellowish as it is acid-free.
- Being white when wet and clear after it dries, it never leaves any remainder.
- A permanent, long-lasting adhesive that is repositionable, too. If you find a missing piece, you can change or move it before the glue dries.
- The glue stick is smooth and long-lasting; it moves on paper without abrasion, does not bleed through, and leaves no mark.
- It’s available in permanent, purple, re-stickable, and wrinkle-free options.
- You can wash glues that get on your hands with soap and water.
- You may face the papers coming apart and the glue vanishing. To avoid, press hard on the two pieces of craft paper; they will get strong attachment after the glue dries.
- It dries fast, but not as fast as superglue, so you may quickly fix a mistake.
- When you look for a forever-lasting glue, you should not choose this one. It’s not archival quality adhesive. You better select Elmer’s glue.
Best Glue Stick for Collage: UHU Glue Stick
UHU Stic Permanent Clear Application Glue Stick is an excellent adhesive applicator of the brand. Its cap is a patented cover to keep the glue safe from drying up.
Do not get confused about seeing washable and permanent both on packages. The fact is that it is permanent on paper and washable on hands/ clothes.
- UHU glue sticks are acid-free and non-toxic. It is safe for all.
- No hassle, a single stroke, and it forms a long-lasting bond and is easily washable with the help of soap and a little water.
- Dries precise and fast, so your photo albums and scrapbooks remain neat and clean. You do not need to clamp.
- Concentrated glue comes out smoothly.
- It does not reform and wrinkle thin papers.
- A little open time. If you have a piece to reposition or remove, do it quickly.
Best Fabric Glue Stick: Gorilla Glue Sticks
Gorilla Kids Disappearing Purple Glue Sticks come in a pack of six sticks. Each stick contains 6-gram purple glue that disappears a few minutes after applying and dries clear. Because of non-toxic and washable glue, Gorilla kid glue is ideal for kids.
Gorilla kids glue works best on both fabric and paper. It also creates a good bond between different materials, including photos, wood, foam board, felt, and sequins.
- Gorilla Kids Disappearing Purple Glue Sticks quickly grab any surface and create an instant, strong bond.
- Purple color glue that helps to apply correctly over the sharp edge,
- Dries clear, no worries of seeing through, even on the thin paper.
- Glue sticks are easy to operate, and the size is comfortable for kids and will not cause pain to their little fingers.
- You should not be worried if glue sticks to your fingers and clothes; it’s non-toxic and washable. Remove excess adhesive with a damp cloth.
- The Gorilla glue stick is a little smelly. However, compared to the leading brands, you will find it acceptable. People love it because of its super-strong bonding.
- It is a choking hazard and not applicable to kids under three.
Best Glue Sticks for Paper Crafts: Avery Glue Stick
Avery Permanent Glue Stick is one of the best economical glue sticks. This comes in a pack of 6 tubes, each of which has 1.27 oz of white glue. A large glue stick is perfect for larger projects; it contains comparatively more adhesives than its competitors.
Avery glue stick is a heavy-duty adhesive that works well equally on paper, glass, photos, foam, and fabrics. It is ideal for DIY or large school, office, and home projects.
- Avery Glue Stick runs smoothly on paper and does not hobble at all.
- This adhesive does not wrinkle thin paper.
- It’s toxic-free; you can allow your kids to use it without a second thought; it is not hazardous.
- As an archival quality glue, you can rely on it for your selected projects.
- This Avery adhesive is easily washable and is ideal for tailors who need to keep many items together during sewing.
- It dries clear, with no visible trace on paper or clothes.
- Compared to other competitors, this glue comes with a more considerable amount in a single stick, making it economical for a larger project.
- The acid-free glue will not turn yellowish and harm your photos.
- Sometimes, the sticks get contaminated, and mold/ fungus can grow on an older piece. However, this is not a typical case.
Best Glue Stick for Scrapbooking: Elmer’s Clear Glue Stick
Elmer’s Clear Glue Sticks have a particular place among the top products because they are repositionable adhesives. The glue is an ideal selection for experimental projects, where frequent repositioning or removals are necessary. You can easily remove or relocate the misplaced items. However, be sure you do it before the glue dries out, approximately 10 minutes.
The glue comes in a 0.28 oz stick and works smoothly. It was developed with a unique formula from Elmer’s to work not only on plain papers but also on various lightweight materials, including construction papers, photos, cardstock, cardboard, display board, wood, felt, craft foams, sequins, and ribbons.
In addition, you can use these scrapbook glue sticks for science fair projects, school projects, homework, craftworks, photo displays, and many more. For a stronger bond, apply to both surfaces, or you can use one layer for a standard fix.
- Elmer’s Clear Glue Sticks are repositionable; you can remove or relocate missing items. Be sure you do it before the glue dries out.
- This glue is an ideal bonding agent for your experimental projects where frequent repositioning or removals are necessary.
- Like all other Elmer’s glues, this product also comes with excellent quality. Keep the surface flat and smooth, even if it is thin paper.
- The clear glue stick is acid-free, non-toxic, and safe for little kids’ skin.
- It is permanent and repositionable glue, ideal for photo albums and scrapbooks. However, if you want to move the parts to the exact spot, do it within 10 minutes of the application.
- It is washable and toxic-free.
- Do not store it in the freezer. The glue will harden and become unusable.
Best Washable Glue Stick: Amazon Basics Purple Glue Sticks
We have got our last candidate on the list, the Amazon Basics Purple glue sticks. It draws a purple line, but it dries clear. That is why you do not hesitate to use it on paper.
Amazon Basics purple washable School Glue Sticks are easily washable and do not cause any harm or leave stains on hands and clothes.
- Amazon Basics purple washable School Glue Sticks are easily washable and do not cause any harm or leave stains on hands and clothes.
- It is not too sticky, so you can use it to fix paper to fabric.
- It dries clear and fast.
- The glue sticks apply purple, making applying and securing the corners and edge easier.
- A reasonable price compared to other similar items.
- If the glue sticks are not capped, they will dry out quickly.
- You may get a bit odd smell; however, it is toxic-free.
How to Avoid Wrinkles on Paper From Glue Sticks?
Wrinkles on paper during gluing are a common issue for paper crafters. You might often have a query on how to keep papers from curling when gluing.
It is not a complex task. To avoid wrinkles while applying glue, you can use several methods. The easiest way is to check the grainline of the paper and apply glue to the grainline direction. Next, you can spray Mod Podge a few times on both sides of the paper and let it dry. Mod Podge will work as a sealant. Or mist the paper with water and use a roller lightly on the top.
And do not use too much glue; the paper will have an overload of moisture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whatever the products we buy, there will always be queries and problems to be solved. Let us check some of the common frequently asked questions.
Do Glue Sticks Work on Paper?
In short, the answer is glue sticks work perfectly for paper and some for lightweight materials.
Are There Any Different Types of Glue Stick for Paper?
Glue sticks work perfectly for paper and some for lightweight materials.
How Long Do Glue Sticks Last?
Glue sticks will last well around 2-3 years from the date of cap opening. To get the best result, store in a cool, dry place and close the cap tightly; else, the glue inside will dry out.
Are the Glue Sticks Permanent?
Not all the glues are permanent. Some brands have both temporary and permanent. Please check the packages that mention either “archival quality” or “permanent.”
What Can You Do With Glue Sticks?
The possibilities are endless. You will not need previous experience with using glue sticks; neither will a kid need it. For example, you may replace crayons with glue sticks to create wax art.
Are the Glue Sticks Toxic?
No, glue sticks are primarily non-toxic. However, that does not mean that they are edible. If you accidentally consume in low quantities, you should not be worried about being poisoned or contaminated.
Glue sticks are usually designed for kids, and trustworthy brands do not use harmful materials.
How Do You Clean Glue Sticks?
Most glue sticks are washable; you can remove excess or unwanted adhered glue with soap, water, and a little piece of cloth.
All our recommended products are washable.
What is the Best Glue Stick for Paper Crafts?
You can use Elmer’s CraftBond Glue Sticks. It is one of the best glue for crafts.
What is the Strongest Glue Stick?
The Surebonder 739 is a high-strength adhesive stick, usually considered the most robust hot glue stick used in auto body shops.
What is the Best Way to Glue Paper to Paper?
You have to coat glue on both pieces of paper. Some manufacturers say to apply only on any one of the papers. Check the description well.
The glue soaks through the fibers and creates wrinkles. So do not apply much glue, which can make the paper soft and tear apart, specifically the low-weight paper.
What Glue Does not Warp Paper?
Many glues are fantastic for papercrafts, but some wrinkle or warp the paper. Therefore, as a paper crafter, you must choose the glue for thin papers carefully. And Beacon’s Zip Dry glue is the best adhesive that does not distort the paper.
What is the Most Trusted Glue for Papercraft Brands?
E6000® Craft Adhesive is a recommendable adhesive for papercraft brands.
Glue sticks are an excellent tool for your kids. Kids apply their creative ideas on paper; in this regard, you would not find any other glue that will do the best, like glue sticks. In addition, using glue sticks is fun and encouraging.
We hope that you have got an overall idea about glue sticks. Now it is on your part to select the best one according to your project. Happy Crafting!