The ring toss game is among the most popular games to play in a carnival. Its concept is simple, yet it is not as easy to win. You have to throw rings or hoops around the top of a bottle or peg. Therefore, the game is also dependent on your luck.
In carnivals and festivals, people play this game to win prizes. They claim the rewards according to the bottle or peg they score. Ring toss is also a great game for toddlers and children as it can develop their motor skills and hand-eye coordination. It also serves as an excellent time killer in parties and hangouts.
Now, let us delve into the concept of the game and familiarize ourselves with the rules.
Origins of Ring Toss
A traditional version of the ring toss game is quoits. Quoits have evolved into the ring toss game we know today. Both these games are almost the same. In quoits, you have to toss the metal or rope rings into the stake, which is called a hob.
Quoits was played in Britain, around 1st-5th century when the Roman had occupied the region. The game is the origin of many other sports, such as horseshoes. How and when ring toss evolved from quoits is still entirely unexplained.
How to Play Ring Toss Game
The ring toss game is simple and easy. It does not take too much hard work and dedication to learn the game. The primary object of the game is to toss rings at the bottle in a way that the rings encircle the bottle.
That may sound easy at first glance, but you find out it is much tougher and more natural to miss once you play the game.
You need to be well versed in the rules and strategies of the game. By incorporating smart playstyle, you can win a ring toss game very quickly and without any trouble.
You will need some materials to get started with the ring toss game.
- Twenty-four or more soda bottles depending on the number of players.
- Low-lying table.
- Four plastic rings just wide enough to fit the bottles.
Rules of Ring Toss
The rules of the game are not so hard to learn. Anyone can pick them up with relative ease. There are not many rules to take note of in this game. Nonetheless, knowing them is very important and can also be helpful for you.
We will now talk about the rules of the game for you to know.
- Firstly, the soda bottles have to put close together on the low table.
- The players should be at least four feet away from the table. It is better to highlight the distance with a marker or tape. Do not hesitate to change the gap to adjust with age and physical capability of players.
- The players would throw the four rings by taking turns. If a player scores a bottle, he gets to keep that bottle and its contents.
These rules have to be strictly followed when playing the ring toss game.
Valuable Tips and Strategies
Playing hard and playing smart are two different things. Incorporating strategies and tactics to your play can significantly increase your chances of winning. The game is heavily skill-dependent and tests your aim and accuracy. But if you do not use some small tactics, you are significantly crippling your success rate. In that case, some little tricks and refinements can improve your experience with the game.
We have described some of the most useful tips for playing ring toss for your convenience.
- Introduce yourself to the rules of the ring toss game. Make sure to know about the game rules from the facilitator before the game starts. Doing this, you can gain the upper hand and secure better rewards for yourself. Try to play matches that give you more rings at a low price. That should maximize your chances of winning.
- Try to go for the bottles of the first or second row. The ring fits precisely onto the bottle. This means it is easy for the ring to bounce off or land on another bottle by hitting a soda bottle.
- Always use your dominant hand when throwing the ring. You should feel more comfortable and controlled when using your dominant hand while pitching. Keeping the ring straight, hold it with your index finger and thumb. That way, you can throw the hoop and keep it straight.
- Hold the ring as low as possible when throwing. You can maximize your chances of victory by throwing like that.
- If you want to get good at playing ring toss, you need to practice. There is no alternative to practice when it comes to improving. Building muscle memory and consistently practicing will surely make you a better player.
(Read More: How to play spikeball, How to play tetherball, How to play ring toss game, How to play ladder ball, How to play kickball, How to play horseshoes, How to play croquet, How to play cornhole)
When it comes to small games, nothing can get more straightforward than ring toss. The game is fun, entertaining, and very simple. A ring toss game can brighten up the mood in family gatherings and ensure a good time for the kids. It is also immensely popular in carnivals. Therefore, it comes as no surprise why the ring toss game is so famous.
If you ever thought about why you cannot claim that one prize you want in the carnival, this guide is for you. We hope you find our article on how to play the ring toss game useful.