So you are feeling messed up by dried super glue on your floor tiles. And you were searching badly for an easy and reliable solution.
Well, do not worry. This article will guide you on how to remove super glue from tiles.
Before knowing how to remove floor tile adhesive, you should understand the material grade of the tiles.
The common types of tiles that you may find are mainly ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles. However, those two have different behavior, so we will try to get the solutions separately.
How to Remove Wet Super Glue
Before going for the details method, you should understand that super glue, like any other glue, is easy to remove while it’s wet. Though it dries fast, still some adhesives will give you ample time to make a try to peel off before it is hardened. Therefore, by chance, whenever you spill super glue on floor tiles, take simply a damp cloth and remove as much as you can.
Anyway, what to do if the super glues are already dried and hardened?
Let’s go for the solutions.
How to Remove Super Glue from Ceramic Tile
Ceramic tiles are made from clay at a high temperature. As a result, it soaks up more water than any other tiles material like porcelain. So if you are trying to remove super glue off ceramic tiles, you will need a different approach with a few extra steps.
At first, you should check the acetone quality by applying a tiny amount on a corner to check if it leaves any marks behind on the tiles. A good quality solvent will not leave any stain.
- Clean the floor tiles: Before removing any glue, clean the ceramic tiles with a damp cloth.
- Use Acetone: Pour the acetone on the glue spot. Increase the amount of acetone if needed to soak up the stain entirely.
- Use Paper Covers: Acetone tends to evaporate, and it may fully vaporize before the glue stains become soft enough to rub off. So take paper or fabric pieces, wet them in acetone, and then cover the glue spots.
- Use a Plastic Sheet: Take a thin plastic sheet to cover the tiles area. And then seal all the sides with adhesive tapes.
- Wash Up: After a few hours, take away all the covers. Then wash all the residues with warm soapy water.
You may still find some glue residues last on the tiles. Those are soft and easy to remove by rubbing. You can use a kitchen knife or scraping tool for a simple task.
Caution: While using acetone, remember below:
- If acetone contacts your skin, it can be absorbed by your body; and may cause skin irritation. However, the amount is not enough to be worried about, and you must use gloves.
- Acetone vapors can cause eye irritation. So do not forget to use protective glass and work in a well-ventilated room.
- Wash your hands always after using acetone.
How to Remove Super Glue from Porcelain Tiles
Porcelain is also a ceramic-type material but made from kaolinite. So you can still use the same remover like acetone, taking the same precautions like wearing gloves and eyeglasses.
Apply the same steps used for ceramic tiles. And repeat the whole process a second time if the glues are hard to remove.
Follow the whole task gently, so the floor tiles will not break, or the top gets scratched.
Whatever your floor tiles are made of, dried glues may not always be easy to remove. So it is better you carefully use any adhesive to avoid the glue spill-off. However, you should take precautions and rub gently to avoid scratching or damaging the surface.